Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Working Double Time

CRAP!  I can't believe I forgot to blog yesterday.  And I promised myself I would NOT forget.  I just can't believe how busy I have been at work.  Its the summer.  Usually things are not as busy during the summer months.  But for some unknown reason, my work load has doubled!  I am sitting at my desk at 7 am and not leaving until 7 pm.  And during the hours I am there, I have so much to do, am under so much stress, and using so much brain power that my brain is BEGGING for fuel.

Which leads me to the topic of this blog.  Did you know that the ONLY fuel your brain cells use is glucose?  Yep.  Glucose.  Sugars which come from carbs.  The preferable type of carbs come from starches, grains, fruit, vegetables and legumes.  The NOT so preferable ones come from refined carbs... processed foods... candy, cakes, etc.

So NEVER cut out ALL carbs.  That is VERY VERY BAD for your brain.  I am not medical professional, but ... it seems to me that if you cut out all carbs you will become dumber. LOL... ok... maybe an overly simplistic way of looking at it, but you get the point.  

I have found that when I am asking my brain to shift into overdrive, I really do require more food.  My body doesn't need the food.  Heck, I am sitting on my ass!  But my brain really does need it.  When I need to be ON for 12 hours, with almost no down time, and when I need to be hyper-focused, and have all my neurons firing at once... well, that is when I need that extra glucose kick.  If I don't have it, I do not work as effectively.  I can't concentrate.  I am not focused.  I don't solve problems as well.  And in my line of work, which requires a LOT of technical writing and analytics, the results are just not as good.  

So this week I know that I will be consuming more calories than usual because I just need to get through this overwhelming work load and make it to the weekend.  But all my carbs will be GOOD carbs.  NO refined carbs.  NO processed foods.  Still on the whole foods vegan plan, but just eating a bit more.  I know this will not translate well into a weight loss because of the extra calories, but I will have to worry about that next week.

And sorry about missing yesterday's blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment