Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Can I Bottle this Feeling, Please?

As torturous as it is to get out of bed at 5 am, it is so worth it at 6:45 am when I have finished my workout for the day, those endorphins are flowing through my brain, and I am enjoying one of life's ultimate luxuries .... a hot shower.  That feeling is an actual high that your body experiences   ....  NATURALLY!  No drugs necessary.  I need to remember that every morning when the alarm clock goes off and I lay in bed trying to convince myself to GET THE HECK UP!

Another thing.  I find that I actually like being at the gym at 6 pm.  It is not as crowded.  It is not as noisy.  And there is a sense of camaraderie between all of us 6 am'ers.  We all trudge in, carrying our suits on hangers to change into after we shower, and we silently acknowledge each other, each of us thinking, "Yep, we have to squeeze this workout in so we can hustle off to our jobs."  Well, most of us, because there is also the Retired Men's Club that meets at that time.  I find it comforting that they are there.  They meet every morning and make their way around the floor, using this machine and that, and even lifting weights.  They don't overdue it, but they help each other out and they get a mighty fine workout in.  I like that.  I admire them.  This morning, as I was making my way through a 45 minute elliptical session, there was an elderly gentleman on a machine in front of me.  He was 70 years old if he was a day.  And he had a Nike shirt on with their slogan, "Just Do It."  That made me smile.  

There are not a lot of young people at the gym at 6 am.  I venture to say that if I were to hit the gym after work there would be hundreds of them milling about.  But I am fine being around the slightly older crowd.  I prefer it actually.  I like knowing that no matter how old you are, or how out of shape you ("I") am, it is never too late to start exercising.

And just so we don't forget the diet portion of this blog, I used my spiral veggie cutter thing-a-ma-bob to make spaghetii like strands of squash for lunch today, and I topped it with sauteed onions, garlic, tomato and basil.  Yet another great Plant Based Meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment