Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Two for Tuesday

Two topics for the price of one... in other words Two for Tuesday!

Sometimes when you think that your weight loss is going slowly, it helps to think that (even though we wish we could take a magic pill tonight and have all our weight be gone by morning) slow and steady weight loss actually is healthy.  

But this morning I was also thinking about how lucky I am that I am ABLE to do something about my weight.  Although sometimes I think I gain weight just by looking at food, the reality is that I love to eat, which leads to overeating, which leads to weight gain.  However, I CAN lose weight.  My body is capable of doing it.  Some people aren't so lucky.  My mom, for instance.  She came to live with me a couple of years ago. She has Lupus.  Its an auto-immune disease that can not be cured and gets progressively worse each year.  A couple of years ago she started losing weight (and not because she was dieting), and last year her weight got alarmingly low.  So low that I became very concerned, had her talk to her doctor about it, and I started making sure that she ate enough to stop her weight loss.  This is no easy feat.  We have stabilized her weight at 110 pounds, but she can't seem to gain any more, despite the fact that I make sure she eats several times a day, eats nutrient dense foods, high caloric foods, and at least 2000-2500 calories a day (which as we all know is A LOT for a 110 pound person).  But she can't gain weight.  Her body is burning calories at an alarming rate.  Its the illness.  Her doctor has now forbidden her from exercising at all ... which means even walking around the neighborhood with me at night.  He says she can't afford to lose those calories.  So when I start to get bummed about losing weight, I think of my mom and I give thanks that my body is healthy enough to do what it has to do.  As my mom always says, there is always someone who has it worse than you, so stop complaining.  Thanks mom.  I love you!

Onto my next topic.  Want to eat something yummy, satisfying, healthy and well within your weight loss program?  Me too!  I bring you Modified Rice and Beans in a Bowl!
http://www.allparenting.com/my-table/articles/968793/rice-bowl-with-black-beans-avocado-cilantro-dressing


Here's the thing... black beans are super good for you!  "A 1/2-cup serving of cooked black beans, which is 86 grams, contains 113 calories. With 1.3 calories per gram, black beans are a low-energy-dense food, which means calorie content is low compared to weight. This makes them a more filling food because you can eat a large portion without going overboard on calories. People eat about the same amount of weight in food each day but not the same level of calories, according to the British Nutrition Foundation. So eating more low-energy-dense foods can help you control your calorie intake and help you lose pounds or maintain a healthy weight."  (courtesy of http://www.livestrong.com/article/238506-black-bean-nutritional-facts/).  They are also high in fiber, are a good source of protein, and are a source of essential vitamins and minerals.  

Now take a look at the link above for the recipe, and then MODIFY it by using "riced cauliflower" instead of rice.  GENIUS!!  Anyone can make this... really... anyone!  Even you people out there who don't cook.  And its quick.  If you come home so hungry you want to eat your arm off, and you do NOT want to wait an hour for dinner to be ready... VOILA... take your riced cauliflower out of the freezer (yes, you can buy bags of the stuff), pop it in the microwave, open a can of black beans, pop it in the microwave, cut up some avocado and tomatoes  in the few minutes it takes for the microwave to ding, and pour the dressing (which takes all of 30 seconds to make) over the whole shebang.  I bet you will be so stuffed you won't even be able to finish your bowl.

Then go exercise!  ROFL


No comments:

Post a Comment